Saturday, February 6, 2010

100-Calorie Scams

Even toothpastefordinner.com knows: Just because it's low-cal doesn't mean it's good for you!

I recently saw an ad featuring Venus and Serena Williams for Nabisco’s 100-Calorie Packs on Glamour.com. Now, I truly love Glamour for its mainly positive message to women, and I think the Williams sisters are pretty badass for their complete domination of tennis, but I have a major problem with the magazine and the sisters promoting a nutritionally void snack that uses “Diet Like a Diva” as its slogan.

First of all, Glamour has been running all sorts of articles about what eating disorders will do to your body and how eating wholesome foods is the way to go when it comes to losing weight or just staying healthy. They’ve also got the Body by Glamour plan, which, again, promotes eating healthy foods with redeeming nutritional qualities. It’s not supposed to be a ‘diet,’ but a plan with plenty of smart takeaways that will help you make permanent lifestyle changes. So it’s understandable that I take issue with the mag for pimping packaged products with the lowest amount of calories possible, right?

Additionally, the fact that the Williams sisters are the faces of this campaign really irks me. I honestly do not think that these athletes are munching on 100-calorie packs all day to keep themselves in shape. To compete like they do, I’m pretty sure they’re eating a wholesome diet full of lean protein, whole grains, and lots of produce. Sure, maybe they’ve tested the products they’re pretending to eat in the ads, but really? Do you believe that the million-time Wimbledon champs are refueling with Wheat Thins substitutes?

To be honest, I’m rarely one of those “everything in moderation” people (still working on it), and in my calorie-obsessed college days I will admit that I totally fell for this idea, but I simply can’t justify it anymore. I do understand that everyone needs a treat sometimes, but why not promote the idea that we can indulge just a little bit every now and then with something a little closer to the real thing? Personally, a little baggie of imitation cocoa-flavored wafers does not nix my chocolate craving. But you know what does? Actual chocolate (the darker the better in my case). And if I have a small enough piece, it’s going to be about 100 calories (give or take) as well, so why would I waste calories and money on little baggies (not so eco-friendly either there, Nabisco) of satisfaction-free chemically-laden ‘food’?

Anyway, I want to know what YOU have to say about this. Have you seen these ads? What do you think of them? How do you feel about Venus and Serena as well as Glamour promoting the products? What do you think of the 100-cal marketing scheme in general?

3 comments:

  1. I haven't seen these ads before but I've always hated those 100-cal snacks and I'm really not a huge fan of artificial sweeteners either (except for my addiction to Diet Coke in a can). I absolutely love good food, so I'm trying to learn more about having the things I love in moderation rather than replacing them with nasty stuff. Plus, a handful of almonds or a bag of baby carrots is usually way more filling than a Splenda-heavy bag of chocolate wafers.

    I think it would be great to see a few athletes talk about what they actually do to stay in such great shape...Of course, I don't have time to play tennis all day like a pro tennis player, but it would help people's body images if they knew that all those famous people put in so much more time than they admit.

    Thanks for all your great advice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coke is coming out with a 90-calorie can soon, as well. 90 is the new 100? It's just a marketing ploy for the undisciplined to justify unsustainable self-control and self-improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Though I've been better about it in the past few years, I do somtimes fall for the low cal, overprocessed crap in place of the real thing. For instance, I did just that today when I bought this lovely pack of caramel and chocolate reduced cal popcorn for my afternoon snack. It seemed like a great idea until about 30 minutes after I finished the pack. My stomach felt like it was going to explode from all of the artificial sweeteners and chemicals. NOT worth it. Next time, I'm sticking with the real thing!

    ReplyDelete