Monday, January 18, 2010

Tunes for Tuesday: Hip-Swinging Soul


An icon.

You know those days when you just cannot muster up the motivation to get to the gym, but you know how good you'd feel if you just got moving? Sometimes, instead of a regular cardio workout, you just need to shake it. In these instances, I call on my favorites to help me let down my hair, shake off my uptight white girl persona, and really bust a move in the privacy of my own living room. Here are my go-to tunes that allow me to really get into a groove. Some fast, some slow, some R&B, some soul, some newer, and most old, but they alllll make you want to swing those hips:

“The House That Jack Built” -Aretha Franklin
“Dancing In The Street”  -Martha and the Vandellas
“Here I Am (Come and Take Me)” -Al Green
"Super Duper Love (Are You Diggin' On Me?) Pt 1 -Joss Stone
“Son of a Preacher Man” –Dusty Springfield
“Rock Steady” -Aretha Franklin
"Let's Get Lifted" -John Legend
“Let’s Stay Together” -Al Green
“Ain’t No Sunshine (When She's Gone)” -Bill Withers
"Every Ghetto Every City" -Lauryn Hill
"Proud Mary" -Tina & Ike Turner
"Can't Get Enough of Your Love" -Barry White
“Do You Feel Me” -Anthony Hamilton
"Do Right Woman, Do Right Man" -Aretha Franklin
“Uptight (Everything’s Alright)” -Stevie Wonder
-"Let's Get It On" -Marvin Gaye (oh c'mon, you KNEW this was going to be on here)
“I Can’t Get Next To You” -Al Green (clearly have a thing for Mr. Green)

This playlist should give you plenty of time to really get into your groove, and maybe even work up a sweat if you do choose to forgo the gym (once in a while, this is OK)! These are just some of my favorites, but what are yours? Which songs really get YOU going?

(Check out this AWESOME live version of Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On" to get you inspired!)

No comments:

Post a Comment