Sunday, January 24, 2010

Shape-Up Tips for Trainers

Everyone assumes that because trainers are working at a gym everyday, we have alllll the time in the world to work out. Well sometimes this just isn’t true. Some days, you have clients throughout the day, spaced out at short intervals, giving you only half hour gaps in which to fit in your own workout. And those tiny gaps need to include a workout AND a shower, because even though we wear workout clothes all day, we still do need to look presentable (and, ahem, clean) because it IS a job. Or some days, you have to decide between working out or grabbing lunch or else you won’t get to eat for another five hours. Or some days you have a one or two-hour break, and after three 14-hour days you need to get out of the gym to get some fresh air or you will snap at the next person who asks you where the locker rooms are be very stressed out. Not that I would know anything about that.

Anyway, most of the time, I do get a quality workout in every day since it’s pretty convenient, but the fact of the matter is that sometimes it just doesn’t happen. So what’s a trainer to do when she needs get in her own exercise, but doesn’t have time in between giving clients their workouts?

The solution is surprisingly simple and kind of obvious (so much so, that I often forget about it): Work out with your clients! At least at my gym, there are no rules saying you can’t do this, and a lot of us have taken advantage of it. You might not do the WHOLE workout with them if you don’t want to get super sweaty (see above; no one likes a stinky trainer), but doing certain strength moves with them or running a few laps shouldn’t hurt. Plus, most clients find this pretty motivating because they see you actually doing the work too. They assume we work out, but seeing us in action tends to help people push a little harder. Plus, if you’re doing it too, people feel kind of wimpy giving up or saying ‘I can’t.’ (At least I know I do when I work out with other trainers!)

For example, many times I’ve run laps with my clients to help them keep up or increase their pace, and I’ve done plenty of squats with them to ensure proper form as well. Yesterday I only had time to run before one of my sessions, so I had to skip my core workout. So at the end of her hour, together we did 10 minutes of the ab exercises I had originally planned for myself. Not only did it make her workout a little more challenging, but it also pushed her to keep up with someone else, namely her trainer. The last move was a plank, and she held it up for an entire minute – a first for her! I was super proud of her, she was happy with herself, and I’d gotten in the rest of my routine as well. It was a winning situation all around!


See how happy we are to be working out together? See?! SEE!?!

So what do you think? Trainers, have you ever worked out with your clients? Clients, have your trainers ever worked out with you? Did it push you harder or make a difference? Tell me, I want to know!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS! I love it when my trainer will work out with me! Yes, having your trainer in your ear reminding you that you can push a little harder & you will get through this next set without your arms or legs falling off does motivate you, however when my trainer actually works out with me this pushes me to the extreme. I remember when I first started training my trainer told me to do 3 laps n 10 stairs n I told him NO WAY (my, my how times have changed)! He was like you have it in you just push. So I went down to do as I was told n started walking…well…lets just say next thing I knew my trainer was right by my side and he was like if you don’t believe in yourself you will never accomplish your goals. I kept saying I couldn’t do it & he was like well lets do it together. So we did. We ran my laps n did all my stairs. I needed that extra push because if he hadn’t given me that push I don’t know that I would have stuck with training as long as I have. So thank you to all the trainers out there who have ever pushed us a little harder, worked out with us & had faith that we could do something we didn’t think we could!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I never work out with my clients unless I am showing them a new exercise, or teaching an aerobics based class where they need motivation!

    ReplyDelete